[Live-devel] RR packets once again

Alexandr Němec a.nemec at atlas.cz
Mon May 17 07:52:41 PDT 2010

Deal all,

I have a question regarding RTCP RR packets. My RTSP server uses the RR packets as liveness indicator of my client and the live555 code correctly sends RR packets to the server if using live555 code as the client. This prevents my server from timing out the client which it does when it does not see any RR packets. When I use the RTP over RTSP interleaved mode, it seems to me that the server does not use/need the RTCP packets, but live555 client code sends the RR packets even over TCP. I made a quick check in the RFC (the chapter about the interleaved mode) and it says that "RTCP messages are also interleaved by the server over the TCP connection". But nothing about the client which confused me.

1. Is it necessary or standard compliant to send RTCP RR packets as a client in RTP over RTSP interleaved mode? My RTSP server seems to ignore them in this mode.

2. The same question regarding RTSP over HTTP. Again, the server ignores RTCP of the client in this case and I also found a recommendation somewhere (some quicktime stuff), that the POST connection used for sending RTSP requests to the server can be closed after the PLAY request which leads to the conclusion that no RTCP packets are sent by the client in this mode.

I hope anybody knows the answers here (at least Ross will know them for sure :). Thanks very much in advance.

Best regads
Alex