[Live-devel] Buffer size on client

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri May 21 13:45:09 PDT 2010

>I am looking at the Elphel example and I would like to stream MJPEG
>where the frame size would be in the region of 200KB, I have tried
>increasing the OutPacketBuffer::maxSize but I am still not able to
>view the stream in VLC.  If I use openRTSP I get the following
>message:
>
>MultiFramedRTPSource::doGetNextFrame1(): The total received frame
>size exceeds the client's buffer size (100000).  583 bytes of
>trailing data will be dropped!
>
>Do I just need to increase the buffer size on the client? If so how
>do I do increase the buffer on the client side?

Just use the "-b <buffer-size>" option to "openRTSP"; see
<http://www.live555.com/openRTSP/#other-options>

I hope you realize, though, that JPEG is a very poor codec for video
streaming, because each frame is so large (and so takes up many
network packets).  If *any* of these network packets gets lost, then
the whole frame must be discarded.