[Live-devel] RTP/H264 low latency streaming + source change

Stéphane SARAGAGLIA stephane.saragaglia at robosoft.fr
Fri May 28 05:02:13 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I am using Live555 libraries to stream H264 video provided by a frame
grabber, via RTP (not RTSP).
I use VLC and VLC activeX as a RTP/H264 client.

Sometimes, I need to change the camera used by the framegrabber, so I
close the RTP sink, the framer, the source, and I open them again with
the new video. Doing that, (even with the same video parameters), the
client often hang (but not every time), and sometimes go on playing
again but with a big delay.
How can I prevent the client from freezing the video or display the
video with delay ? Sending some missing frames ? Special trick to warn
client ?
My main objective is LOW latency, some image skips are not a problem.

Any advice ?
(client cannot send data to server, so no rtcp)

Regards