[Live-devel] Question about a resizing filter

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Nov 15 16:20:41 PST 2010

>I view adding a morphological filter to my network streaming library
>as a rather substantial kludge, so I'll chalk this up to "difference
>of opinion."

Well maybe.  However, because I was the person who designed the
library and its architecture, some opinions are more valuable than
others :-)

"Media processing" (which includes transcoding) is exactly the sort
of thing I had in mind when I designed this library.  Although the
code that we ship focuses on network I/O - and doesn't include any
codec software - there's no reason why you couldn't use a 3rd-party
library (e.g., FFMPEG or Intel IPP) to help implement a decoding
and/or encoding filter.  (The internal implementation of a particular
filter could even be multi-threaded (to exploit multiple cores) if
you wished, even though the filter chain as a whole remains
single-threaded.)