[Live-devel] Newbie with a DirectShow headache

iain iain at idcl.co.uk
Thu Oct 7 09:12:12 PDT 2010

I'm currently trying to get a Live555 DirectShow RTSP working correctly
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/rtspdirectshow/).

After a certain amount of tweaking of the code I've got it to compile and
basically work - that is it can stream from an RTSP compatible source.

The two issues at this point were firstly, that pause backed up samples
until a 400 frame buffer was full and released them in a splurge (sorry
about the technical term!) and more critically, once the filter stopped
(either by calling Stop() or by a timeout when paused) it would never start
again.

In addition to that it's still more than a little bit flaky when going
through Start/Pause/Start/Pause and other scenarios, with sockets locking
up, virtual functions appearing to be missing and other miscellanea.

I've made some progress with diagnosing the Stopped problem (an event handle
in a circular buffer wasn't being reset, so when restarted, the code found
no the buffer was signalled, but with no samples so immediately stopped the
thread before any samples had a chance to arrive).  However, that's only a
partial fix since although the source is now delivering samples with no
errors, the graph is not rendering them (and I have no idea why not).

I am quite experienced in DirectShow, but this is my first time with
Live555.

I've got two requests, really.  Firstly, has anyone got this to work
properly or can they recommend an alternative (open source) which works
reliably.

Secondly, the documentation for Live555 is a touch on the light side,
however I have found some references to tutorials
(http://www.mail-archive.com/live-devel@lists.live555.com/msg00238.html),
however the referenced link does not appear to exist anymore.  Does anyone
have a copy of this.

Allied to that, I can more or less see how the RTSP control stream works,
but I can't figure out what it is that starts the communication to receive
any RTP or other payload.

Any assistance would be VERY gratefully received.

Iain

01423 872988  -  http://www.idcl.co.uk <http://www.idcl.co.uk/>

Iain Downs Consulting Limited is registered in the UK with number 329446

at The Old Coachhouse, Rear Eastville Terrace, Harrogate HG1 4HJ