[Live-devel] Newbie with a DirectShow headache

Jeremy Noring jnoring at logitech.com
Thu Oct 7 14:11:08 PDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 12:12 PM, John Orr <john.orr at scala.com> wrote:

>  Iain,
>
> I played with that same rtspdirectshow sourceforge project a few months
> back while trying to get my feet wet on live555 and apply it to DirectShow.
>  That project is certainly not cooked all the way.  It been a while, but I
> think the author there struggled with parsing out proper media
> characteristics for video (like width and height).  If I recall correctly,
> they hard coded width and height on their video out pin.

Ah, yeah--I forgot about that.  For H264, you really need to write some code
to parse the SPS/PPS information that's present in the SDP exchange to get
the video resolution--same principle applies for AAC.  Or if the RTSP server
(incorrectly) sends it in-stream, sniff until you find it, parse, and then
you can generate output pins.  Live555, of course, lets you get this info
assuming your server H264 RTSP implementation isn't braindead.