[Live-devel] Newbie with a DirectShow headache

Jeremy Noring jnoring at logitech.com
Thu Oct 7 19:50:02 PDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com>wrote:

> Ah, yeah--I forgot about that.  For H264, you really need to write some
>> code to parse the SPS/PPS information that's present in the SDP exchange
>>

> Note that we already provide code to do this parsing; you don't need to
> write it yourself.
>
> Just call "MediaSubsession:: fmtp_spropparametersets()" to get the SPS/PPS
> string, and then call "parseSPropParameterSets()" to parse it.  See, for
> example, the code for "H264VideoFileSink", which uses this.

No, not just base-64 decode it, but actually _decode_ the SPS/PPS info.  You
do need to do this to get the properties of the incoming video, like
resolution, profile, level, etc.  It involves exponential golomb decoding
and following the H264 specification, and is generally necessary for most
media frameworks like DShow and GStreamer.