[Live-devel] Streaming h264 MPEG-2 TS

Oshi Keren-Zur oshikztrego at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 13 04:54:27 PDT 2010

Ross Finlayson <finlayson at ...> writes:

> At 6:05 PM +0300 9/7/10, oshikztrego at ... wrote:
> >Hi,
> >We are developing a linux based embedded device which functions as a
> >streaming server.
>
> Do "we" not have our own domain name?   (People who use hobbyist
> email addresses (@hotmail, @gmail, @yahoo, etc.) are taken less
> seriously on this mailing list.)

OK, I will change this on future threads. Thanks for answering seriously so far.

> >The device has a video encoder which produces h264 MPEG-4 Elementary
> >Stream, Audio encoder, and closed caption source.
> >Our project started off with the requirement to stream the Video by
> >RTP. We used liveMedia for this.
> >
> >As the project evolved additional requirements/limitations were added:
> >1. Offline streaming of previously captured data with trick-play
> >2. The Streaming client can only play MPEG-2 ts.
> >
> >After some research regarding extending our use of liveMedia to
> >satisfy these requirements,
> >We reached the conclusion that using liveMedia as it is currently
> >implemented will be difficult since
> >
> >1. Multiplexing of h.264, audio and closed captions to an MPEG-2 ts
> >is not supported
>
> We *do* support multiplexing video (including H.264) and audio into a
> MPEG-2 Transport Stream - using the
> "MPEG2TransportStreamFromESSource" class.  You might also be able to
> modify this class to support closed captions.

Sorry, my conclusion was much too general (and wrong). I will try to describe
the problem better:

The system is required to support multiple unicast streams of the same
live/recorded video ( resuseFirstSource = True).

I managed to use the "MPEG2TransportStreamFromESSource" class in order to
multiplex the video in MPEG-2 ts, and used  "testOnDemandRTSPServer" to stream
to a vlc client.
>From the second connection on,vlc complains about "Waiting for PPS/SPS unit".

>From the mailing list I learnt that using "sprop_parameter_sets_str"
of "H264VideoRTPSink::createNew()" is intended for use to provide the client
with the correct PPS and SPS NAL units.
However, If I understand correctly, no object of the "H264VideoRTPSink" is used
when streaming an MPEG-2 Transport Stream.

I did not manage to understand how to overcome this contradiction.
What am I missing?

Thanks,
Oshi