[Live-devel] Questions on On Demand Live Video Streaming Server

Mehran Ansari mehran at stretchinc.com
Thu Sep 23 15:35:41 PDT 2010

I have been trying to understand live555 by using and reading the test programs but I can not figure out how I can use OnDemandRTSP to stream any type of Live Video. I used "[Live-devel] H264 RTP Streaming: A Tutorial" as a base to stream live H.264, the problem is that even though I see the video frames are being streamed from my server and on my client side running wireshark which sees the frames receiving, VLC does not play the video. Additionally this example does not use On Demand RTSP which I need to know when to start and stop streaming.

I need know:

1) Which class to sub-class in order to have On Demand RTSP server which receives RTSP requests for any video CODECs (mpeg4, h.264, MJPEG).
2) be able to know when the RTSP PLAY is received by sub-classing one of the RTPS classes and get the IP address of the client
3) start sending frames which are obtained from any of my video encoders to the client that initiated the PLAY
4) be notified when the  RTSP STOP is received and know which client IP Address

 Most probably the answer is to sub-class OnDemandServerMediaSubsession, ServerMediaSubsession, or something else. If I sub-class any of these Media Subsession servers, would I call the startPlaying() for myVideoSenderSink class from the startStream() virtual method and then feed my video frames through doGetNextFrame() of my video framer class?

Is there generic video frame class for any type of Elementary Streaming Video? Is there any example test that is similar to what I am looking for?

I appreciate any help and hints as where I should start.