[Live-devel] Confused about how to generate fmtp line for H.264 source for SDP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Aug 3 18:51:37 PDT 2011

>> Yes. Now, the SPS and PPS NAL units are assumed to be in the input NAL unit stream (and are extracted from there).
>
> Is that a safe assumption, isn't optional to include the SPS and PPS NAL units in the stream? or at the very least make the very infrequent?

Yes, it's uncommon for a supplier of a H.264 stream to know the SPS and PPS NAL units, but for those NAL units not to appear in the stream.  Most commonly, these NAL units appear in the stream, but you don't know what they are - and can find them out only by scanning the stream.  We now do that for you.

> Hmm, I'll look into it, but my encoder gives me the sps and pps when I initialize it, it seems like it would be easier to just hand the sps and pps to the rtp sink and just re-implement auxSDPLine in my class, pretty much like I used to do. Is there a reason your recommending this approach

Yes, the reason was that it would probably save you work.  If the SPS and PPS NAL units also appear in the stream (which, for most encoders, they will), then you don't have to do any extra work (except perhaps duplicate some code that we already have in "H264VideoFileServerMediaSubsession").