[Live-devel] A problem with indexed file duration

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Aug 21 02:45:25 PDT 2011

> Here is a ts file which I recorded directly from a dvb-t card.
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7920298/ts.tar.gz
> The file's duration is 5 s, but when I index it and get its duration, it returns 11630 s.
> Could you detect the problem with this ts?

The problem is that this file's PCR timestamps are all messed up.

Very early in the file, the PCR timestamp suddenly decreases by about 10831 seconds.  Our indexing software handles this OK, by pretending that the decrease didn't happen.

About 5.6 seconds later, however, the PCR timestamp suddenly jumps - by about 11619 seconds.  Our indexing software believes this (it has no reason not to), which is why it ends up thinking that the whole file is 11630 seconds long.

In summary: Your encoder is broken; you should fix it.