[Live-devel] Session management

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Dec 1 05:18:25 PST 2011

> I was wondering if there was something built into Live555 that can be used for session management and initiation.

No, because (as far as I know) there's no standardized protocol for doing this.

>  After the media has been transported, the server sends a signal to the client to indicate that it should stop listening.

This is done already, using RTCP "BYE" packets (which the receiver can handle, as appropriate).  Even simpler, though, if the client knows the duration of the stream (it can often know this from the stream's SDP description), then it will know when it needs to "stop listening".

Our "openRTSP" client application does both of these things, FYI.