[Live-devel] issue with getResultMsg from the old api

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Feb 23 12:47:59 PST 2011

>Vlc 1.1 uses the old synchronus API, and I noticed something changed in
>live555 a while ago.
>Before, (I tested with a version from march 2010), the getResultMsg()
>after a describe command returned :
>cannot handle DESCRIBE response: RTSP/1.0 401 Unauthorized
>
>latest version now returns only:
>401 Unauthorized
>
>The issue is that it does not contain RTSP/1.0 anymore, and vlc is
>checking this to get the error code.

Yes, the new asynchronous "RTSPClient" API (and thus also the old,
synchronous API, because it's implemented using the new API) now
returns result messages that begin with the response code, not with
"RTSP/x.y" or "HTTP/x.y" - to make them more meaningful.

I didn't realize that VLC was expecting the old form of result
message; it should instead be checking for an embedded "401 ".