[Live-devel] openRTSP Quicktime compatibility

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jan 4 22:28:34 PST 2011

>I have been trying to use openRTSP (from liveMedia dated 2010.12.05) to
>record clips from an IP camera that supports RTSP streaming of MPEG-4
>clips, but the recorded clips would not play back in Quicktime 7.6.8
>(1675) on Windows.

I hope you used the "-w <width>", "-h <height>" and "-f <frame-rate>" options.

>After analyzing the differences in the files produced by openRTSP &
>mencoder I have been able to come up with the attached minimal patch to
>change the "magic bytes" recorded in the esds atom, and with this patch
>applied openRTSP will record files (.mov or .mp4) that Quicktime is able
>to play without any further changes.

Thanks.  I must confess that I have no idea what these values in the
"esds" atom are supposed to mean, but because the modified values
seem to work for you, I'll (somewhat reluctantly) include this patch
in the next release of the software.