[Live-devel] VLC Player and RTP 24-bit PCM audio

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jan 5 16:35:39 PST 2011

>I would like to be able to use VLC player to play audio streams which are
>IP multicast RTP 24-bit PCM at 48kHz. I learned VLC uses live555 plugin to
>play RTP audio described by an .sdp. Unfortunately L24 is not working.

Thanks for the note.  Previously the LIVE555 libraries did not handle
receiving the RTP payload formats "audio/L20", "audio/L24" and
"audio/DAT12", which are defined in RFC 3190.  However, I have now
installed a new version (2011.01.06) of the libraries that will
recognize these.

So now, to get VLC to handle your stream, you will need to contact
the VLC developers (on a VLC mailing list), telling them that:
1/ The latest version (2011.01.06) of the "LIVE555 Streaming Media"
libraries now supports receiving the RTP payload formats "audio/L20",
"audio/L24" and "audio/DAT12" (as defined in RFC 3190).
2/ If VLC is able to decode these audio formats (20-bit linear,
24-bit linear, and 12-bit nonlinear, respectively), then they should
update their LIVE555 interface code ("modules_demux_live555.cpp") to
recognize whichever of these formats they can decode.