[Live-devel] bug, 1. rtp package lost when Media Server is running under windows

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jan 19 03:59:17 PST 2011

>On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 03:52, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com> wrote:
>>  A new version of the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" code - and a new version
>>  (0.66) of the "LIVE555 Media Server" - have now been released that fixes
>>  this problem.
>
>Thanks for the fix.
>
>Unfortunately it do not solve the bug for me.

Well, it fixed the bug that you described originally: That of the
initial RTP packet not being sent over the network.

>  My client (gstreamer
>0.10.31) do not start to recive RTP packages before receiving the RTSP
>OK message, send in reply to the RTSP PLAY.

Then this is a bug in your client.  A RTSP/RTP client should be
prepared to start receiving incoming RTP packets immediately after it
sends the "PLAY" request.  It should not wait until it receives the
"OK" response before it starts listening for incoming RTP packets.

The reason for this is that - in general - the RTP (UDP) data channel
is distinct from the RTSP (TCP) control channel.  Even if the server
sends back the first RTP packet after it sends back the RTSP "OK",
there's no guarantee that they will subsequently arrive at the client
in that same order.  (For example, the RTSP "OK" - being part of a
TCP connection - might be delayed in the server OS's output buffer
before being sent over the network, and/or might be delayed in the
client OS's input buffer before being delivered to the client
application.  During which time the RTP packet (UDP) might already
have been delivered to the client OS, which will drop it if the
client application is not already prepared to receive it.)