[Live-devel] RTSP server socket bind error

Stathis Voukelatos stathis.voukelatos at aircraftmedical.com
Mon Jul 25 01:50:33 PDT 2011

Hi Ross,

Thanks for your reply. I agree that SO_LINGER is not the recommended way
of getting

round the TIME_WAIT state. I had a closer look at the RTSP server code
and realized that

the SO_REUSEADDR option is turned off at the server socket in
RTSPServer::setUpOurSocket()

and that is why the server cannot be restarted.

If I set the option by removing the creation of the dummy NoReuse
object, then the server can

bind again to the same port straight away as expected. Is SO_REUSEADDR
turned off just to avoid

data corruption (e.g. there is a remote possibility of data that is
hanging around from the old

dead connection to be inserted to the new TCP stream after the server is
restarted)?

Stathis