[Live-devel] H264VideoStreamDiscreteFramer vs H264VideoStreamFramer vs other

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jun 8 07:22:01 PDT 2011

>Thanks Ross, as I said though in that case VLC cannot decode the
>stream, it gives "waiting for SPS/PPS" messages then times out.
>
>In what sense will the framer not work correctly with the start
>code?  In my tests it seems to be working well, apart from the
>warnings.

I don't know how much clearer I can make this:

If you're using "H264VideoStreamDiscreteFramer", then the NAL units
that you feed to it MUST NOT begin with the 00000001 start code.  If
you do this, you will end up with a non-standards-compliant RTP
packet (which receiving clients might not understand), and also our
server code will not recognize SPS and PPS NAL units - when they
occur.  We need to do this in order to be able to generate proper
configuration information in the stream's SDP description.

You've already noticed that VLC does not decode your stream if you
include the start codes.  So don't include them.