[Live-devel] streaming AC3 over RTP using LIve555

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Jun 16 03:03:24 PDT 2011

Sorry for the long delay in addressing this issue.

It turns out that our "AC3AudioStreamFramer" implementation was not
implemented properly for streaming from a raw AC-3 audio file.
(Instead, it was working only when streaming AC-3 audio that had been
extracted from a VOB file.)

I have now installed a new version (2011.06.16) of the "LIVE555
Streaming Media" code that:
1/ Fixes "AC3AudioStreamFramer".
2/ Adds a new class "AC3AudioFileServerMediaSubsession" (as you
originally suggested).
3/ Updates the "testOnDemandRTSPServer" and "live555MediaServer"
applications to support streaming AC-3 audio files via RTSP/RTP.
(Currently, only the source code for "live555MediaServer" has been
updated; not the pre-built binary versions.)
4/ Updates the implementation of "AC3AudioRTPSink" and
"AC3AudioRTPSource" to properly conform to the RTP payload format for
AC-3 audio, as defined by RFC 4184.  (Previously, we were using a
different, incompatible payload format that had been defined by an
earlier draft document.)  Unfortunately, this means that older
clients that use our code - including existing binary versions of VLC
and MPlayer - will no longer be able to play AC-3/RTP streams from
our server  (until they are rebuilt using this newest version of our
library).