[Live-devel] QoS Statistics (kbits_per_second_ave) for OpenRTSP and Live555 Server

DEBRAJ MANNA debraj.manna at yahoo.co.in
Tue Jun 28 02:50:28 PDT 2011

Hi,

I am using OpenRTSP & Live555 in my internal network. OpenRTSP is connected to the Live555 Media Server through Linktropy WAN Emulator. I started doing a .mpg file transfer using OpenRTSP Client. I started 40 parallel connections between openRTSP & Live555 Media Server (with no other data transfer going on). I want to measure the data transfer rate for all the connections. So, I sum up the  value of 'kbits_per_second_ave' for the video and audio stream ( as reported by -Q option ) for all the 40 connections. I get around 30 Mbps. But the WAN Emulator shows around 80 Mbps data transfer.

But when I repeat the above steps with 10 parallel connections the value reported by the WAN Emulator and the sum of 'kbits_per_second_ave' for all the connections matches. Also when I use a.mp3 file containing only audio stream(with 250 parallel connections) then also both the value reported by both are same.

I also verified that using WANEM(http://wanem.sourceforge.net/) in place of Linktropy WAN Emulator. It also reported the same observation.

Why the values shown are different in both the cases? What is the significance of 'kbits_per_second'?

Thanks,