[Live-devel] Streaming server

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Mar 3 03:14:25 PST 2011

>I am planning to use MPEG-2, directly streaming MPEG-2 instead of h.264.
>Which streaming server can I use?

You could use our "testOnDemandRTSPServer" demo application.  Note
the difference between streaming a MPEG-2 Program Stream (which, for
this demo application, must be called "test.mpg"), and a MPEG-2 Video
Elementary Stream (which, for this demo application, must be called
"testv.mpg").

>  And  How?

As noted above, this depends on whether you want to stream a MPEG-2
Program Stream, or a MPEG-2 Elementary Stream.  (If you instead want
to stream a MPEG-2 *Transport* Stream, then you would use a file
named "test.ts" instead.)

If you want to stream from a live source (such as an encoder), rather
than from a file, then you can do this by making a small modification
to the application's source code.  See the FAQ.