[Live-devel] continuous streaming of m4e media file

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Mar 3 07:53:45 PST 2011

>I am trying to perform multicast live streaming from a web camera.
>The web camera is continuously generating mpeg 4 stream (single file
>with extension as .m4e). I am performing the streaming using
>testMPEG4VideoStreamer.

You should first try running the *original*, *unmodified*
testMPEG4VideoStreamer application, using a single file - named
"test.m4e" - as input.  Only when you have this working should you
consider modifying the code and/or writing your own server
application.

>However, on opening the rtsp url from VLC player, although no error
>is reported. However, VLC player does not show any video. Please
>help me in identifying my mistake

I can't, because ***VLC is not our software***.

Instead, you should first try playing/recording the stream (as served
by the *original*, *unmodified* testMPEG4VideoStreamer application)
using our "openRTSP" RTSP client application (see
<http://www.live555.com/openRTSP/>).

If "openRTSP" fails to record any data, then the problem may be
because you don't have IP multicast routing between your server and
client, or else a firewall that blocks UDP.  (See
<http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#openRTSP-empty-files>)
You should instead first try running the server and client on the
same LAN.

If "openRTSP" records data OK (i.e., writes non-empty files), then
the problem is likely that VLC is having trouble decoding your video.
In that case, you need to report the problem on a VLC mailing list
instead.