[Live-devel] AAC packaging for "mpeg4-generic" stream?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat Mar 5 21:38:04 PST 2011

>I'm trying to code a server to stream live video and audio over
>RTSP/RTP to VLC. The video stream plays fine, but I'm having trouble
>with the audio stream; the VLC's faad module continuously complains
>about problems in the bitstream.

Your message didn't make it clear whether or not your server is
implemented using our libraries, but if it's not, then we can't
really help you here, because the VLC media player is not our
software.  (VLC does use our libraries for the RTSP/RTP protocol, but
not for decoding at all.)

Instead, you should begin by using our "openRTSP" client (see
<http://www.live555.com/openRTSP/>) to make sure that it receives
your stream OK (and writes a non-empty file for the incoming audio
stream).

I also suggest that you take a look at how our RTSP server
implementation (e.g, our "testOnDemandRTSPServer" demo application)
streams from an ADTS-format aac file.  (For an example ADTS-format
AAC file, you can use the file "test.aac" from
<http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/public/aac/>.)