[Live-devel] RTSP server in multicast: livenessTimeoutTask API

Marat Shchuchinsky maratshch at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 01:36:05 PST 2011

Dear Sir!
I upgrade my old version of live555 on one latest (from 2011/Jan/24) and pay
attention on small difference in functionality in RTSP server that I don't
clearly understood. I mean this API:

void RTSPServer::RTSPClientSession
::livenessTimeoutTask(RTSPClientSession* clientSession);

As written in new version of live555 client session object always deleted,
even this is multicast session.
But "old version" of live555 delete the client session object on timeout
only in unicast mode.

This is fragment from "old' version:
=====================
void RTSPServer::RTSPClientSession
::livenessTimeoutTask(RTSPClientSession* clientSession) {
  // If this gets called, the client session is assumed to have timed out,
  // so delete it:
  // However, we don't timeout multicast sessions, because to do so would
require
  // closing all client sessions that have requested the stream - not just
this one.
  // Also, the multicast stream itself would usually not be halted, in any
case.
  if (clientSession->isMulticast()) return;
#ifdef DEBUG
  fprintf(stderr, "RTSP client session from %s has timed out (due to
inactivity)\n", our_inet_ntoa(clientSession->fClientAddr.sin_addr));
#endif
delete clientSession;
}

And this code fragment form latest version of live555:
========================
void RTSPServer::RTSPClientSession
::livenessTimeoutTask(RTSPClientSession* clientSession) {
  if (clientSession->isMulticast()) return;
  // If this gets called, the client session is assumed to have timed out,
  // so delete it:
 delete clientSession; clientSession = NULL;
}

Maybe I don't clearly understood how live555 service the multicast client,
but I would be very glad on your explain
why multicast checking removed from livenessTimeoutTask API???

Best regards,

Marat Shchuchinsky
DSP software engineer