[Live-devel] Problems on iPhone when on cell network

Thomas Maier thomas.maier at uni-kassel.de
Wed May 11 04:04:50 PDT 2011

Hi gurus,

I am using the LIVE555 Streaming Media libs on the iPhone.  As long as I am on WiFi, everything works fine.  However, as soon as I try to use the cell network (2G or 3G), I get the following error:

Unable to determine our source address: This computer has an invalid IP address: 0x0

I grepped the sources and found "This computer has an invalid IP address" in groupsock/GroupsockHelper.cpp.  Alas, my network hacking skills are zero.  I see the comment "(This code, like many others, won't handle IPv6)", so maybe (wildly guessing here) some info about my carrier is relevant?  It is the German Telekom in, surprise, Germany.

If it's of any use, when I start my app when WiFi is active, get some RTP data, stop, switch to cell in the iPhone settings, and then try to get data, I do not get the above error but a different one:

RTSP 'OPTIONS' request failed: Failed to find network address for "my.camera.url"

This happens in continueAfterOPTIONS() (my code is quite a copy of openRTSP and works fine on WiFi).

Has anybody experienced that problem?  Any pointers to what I should read or what I could do?

I am using the sources as of 2010-10-28.  I have read http://live555.com/liveMedia/public/changelog.txt but could not find a relevant change that might fix the problem.  Should I upgrade anyway?

I am on Xcode 3.2.6 with iOS SDK 4.3.  gcc --version says

i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5666) (dot 3)

I am not sure what other info you need but I will happily provide it.

Thanks in advance,

Thomas