[Live-devel] Problems on iPhone when on cell network

Thomas Maier thomas.maier at uni-kassel.de
Thu May 12 03:24:49 PDT 2011

Hi Felix,

Am 12.05.2011 um 08:33 schrieb Felix Radensky:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> On 5/11/2011 2:04 PM, Thomas Maier wrote:
>> Hi gurus,
>>
>> I am using the LIVE555 Streaming Media libs on the iPhone.  As long as I am on WiFi, everything works fine.  However, as soon as I try to use the cell network (2G or 3G), I get the following error:
>>
>> Unable to determine our source address: This computer has an invalid IP address: 0x0
>>
>> I grepped the sources and found "This computer has an invalid IP address" in groupsock/GroupsockHelper.cpp.  Alas, my network hacking skills are zero.  I see the comment "(This code, like many others, won't handle IPv6)", so maybe (wildly guessing here) some info about my carrier is relevant?  It is the German Telekom in, surprise, Germany.
>>
>> If it's of any use, when I start my app when WiFi is active, get some RTP data, stop, switch to cell in the iPhone settings, and then try to get data, I do not get the above error but a different one:
>>
>> RTSP 'OPTIONS' request failed: Failed to find network address for "my.camera.url"
>>
>> This happens in continueAfterOPTIONS() (my code is quite a copy of openRTSP and works fine on WiFi).
>>
>> Has anybody experienced that problem?  Any pointers to what I should read or what I could do?
>>
>> I am using the sources as of 2010-10-28.  I have read http://live555.com/liveMedia/public/changelog.txt but could not find a relevant change that might fix the problem.  Should I upgrade anyway?
>>
>> I am on Xcode 3.2.6 with iOS SDK 4.3.  gcc --version says
>>
>> i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5666) (dot 3)
>>
>> I am not sure what other info you need but I will happily provide it.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Thomas
>>

> This error usually means that you don't have default gateway defined.
>
> Felix.

Thanks for the swift reply.  Wouldn't that mean that I could not access the cell network at all?  (Beware, my knowledge about networks is shallow.)  However, other programs (like Safari and Mail) work fine.  It's only my own app and only the code using the Live555 libs and only on the cell network.  Other network access in my code (like downloading an NSURLRequest from the same host I try to connect to using the Live555 libs) works fine, even on the cell network.  Maybe this is all irrelevant because my understanding of a default gateway is all wrong?

Anything I can do to analyze the problem to provide you with further information?

Cheers, Thomas