[Live-devel] VLC stops working due to live555 breakdown after 2147 seconds

Szoke Szoke at BeeComputing.com
Mon May 30 06:09:59 PDT 2011

Hi everyone,

I have started a discussion on the VLC forum, which explains the problem
I have with Live555:
http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=90813

In short:
1.
I am catching a rtsp stream from an IP camera attached to a kestrel
nest. For those who are interested in birds, just for fun, have a look here:
http://www.justin.tv/szokeszaniszlo/videos?frh=1306760409
this system is also in two embedded systems used in the woods, catching
amazing images from black storks :
http://www.solon.be/3-combat-violent-entre-la-cigogne-et-la-martre-violent-struggle-between-black-stork-and-pine-marten/

2.
Unfortunately, VLC stops working after about 35 minutes. Debugging VLC
showed that the stream is broken by live555 after exactly 2147 seconds,
or 2^31, which sounds like a 32 bit signed integer being used to store
micro seconds...
All details are given on the VLC forum at the URL given above.

3.
In embedded systems using linutop computers (running Ubuntu), VLC stops
reading the stream for the same reason. Using different picture
resolution doesn't help. We could bypass the problem by restarting VLC
every 15 minutes. But under Windows, I cannot restart VLC as the Dyyno
Universal Broadcaster sending the images live to justin.tv looses the
source image in that case.

4.
I'm doing my best to have all these systems up and running full time, as
even one national television broadcast (TV5) is following these videos.

So any help will be greatly appreciated !

Thanks a lot in advance,

Stan