[Live-devel] Compiling a test program

Simon Helwig tinitus.rockt at gmx.de
Fri Nov 4 01:00:52 PDT 2011

Hallo,

I'm a student from Germany and yesterday I tried to compile one of your test programs, but it didn't work. So I hope you can help me with these problems, because it's very important.
First I will tell you, which steps I made, and in which order, to make the program work. So here we go (I use a Windows XP Professional System (32 Bit) with Microsoft Visual Studio 2010):

First I downloaded the package from your homepage (live555-latest.tar.gz   01-Nov-2011 19:01  508K) and extracted the files in a new folder on my Desktop. Then I changed the path of the 'tools' directory in the file "win32config". The new path I entered was C:\Programme\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC
Afterwards I opened the commando line and went to the new folder, where I extracted the files of the package. I typed the commando "genWindowsMakefiles" to generate the *.mak files in the library folders. And always on the first try it goes wrong. But right after the first attempt (in the second try) it works. So I only repeat the commando right after the first attempt. It seems strange...
But the PC generated the whole *.mak files in folders.
In addition to that I opened a new "Makefile Project" in Visual Studio. In this project I imported all the *.mak files I generated before. There are four files: BasicUsageEnviornment.mak, groupsok.mak, liveMedia.mak and UsageEnviornment.mak
Then I built successively each of the four files (projects) first.
Now I opened C++ project and took one of the test programms (testMPEG2TransportStreamer.cpp) and copied the code in it.
Thereafter I tried to compile the code, but then I got a lot of mistakes.

I guess, that I have made a fundamental error in my steps before.

So long and best greetings

Simon