[Live-devel] RTSPClient, raw udp streaming

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Nov 7 23:54:51 PST 2011

> RTSPServer now support raw udp streaming only if client sent SETUP command contains one client port, but RTSPClient always add second port number, even if it works with raw udp subsession. Could you fix that, please?

No, because there's nothing to 'fix'.

There is no single defined standard for how to request raw UDP streaming using RTSP; the IETF standard media streaming protocol is RTP.  However, clients that wish to request raw UDP streaming typically do so in one of two ways:
1/ By specifying a protocol of "RAW/RAW/UDP" (or perhaps "MP2T/H2221/UDP") in the "Transport:" RTSP header, or
2/ Specifying only a single client port in the "client_port=" part of the "Transport:" header.

Our server recognizes either of these as being a request for raw UDP streaming.

Note that the usual, standard requested protocol is RTP-over-UDP (or perhaps RTP-over-TCP).  For RTP-over-UDP, the "Transport:" header will contain a pair of port numbers (in the "client_port=" part of the header): One port number for RTP, and a second port number for RTCP.

If a client specifies two port numbers in this way, then it is implicitly requesting RTP(and RTCP)-over-UDP.  Specifying two port numbers would make no sense for requesting raw UDP streaming.