[Live-devel] H264DiscreteFramer from custom source

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Nov 8 08:37:04 PST 2011

> Should I schedule a deliverFrame (and FramedSource::afterGetting( ..)
> for each NAL, i.e. making a queue of NALs and repeatedly scheduling
> deliverFrame in order to send a single frame.

Yes, a "H264VideoStreamDiscreteFramer" expects to be fed one NAL unit at a time - *not* one frame at a time.

In fact, this is especially important for SPS and PPS NAL units, because the "H264VideoStreamDiscreteFramer" code recognizes and saves a copy of those NAL units (for use in the stream's SDP 'config' string).

If you can, try to make the SPS and PPS NAL units the first NAL units that come from your encoder, for each new stream.  This is not essential (as long as SPS and PPS NAL units appear eventually), but it will make the server more efficient.