[Live-devel] Question about buffer when streaming mp3 files and wav (raw pcm) files

Zhaofei Chen czf86123 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 04:41:50 PST 2011

Hello,

I've tried to use live media libraries with MPlayer for streaming audio
files over RTSP and it is successful.

However there's something that I'm not sure with. When a wav file or raw
pcm audio data is streamed, I found that a buffer will be used to preload
some data (few seconds, related with audio file's bitrate) before MPlayer
starts playing. And if it is a mp3 file, there is no preloading. I would
like to ask what this buffer could be and why it is used only for some
specific formats. Anyone can give me some advice? Thanks!

Zhaofei Chen