[Live-devel] RTSP Server Crash with Milestone Client

Viswanatha Reddy kvishnath at ymail.com
Tue Nov 15 01:12:33 PST 2011

Dear Ross,
Thanks for your reply.
I collected the debug information while running with Milestone client and VLC client.
The snapshot of the crash pointing the crash inside the Server is also given.
Please find the attachment, which contains all the debug info.

Thank you,
K.Viswanatha Reddy,
Bangalore,
India

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 12:48:43 -0700

> I have developed an (mpeg4)RTSP streamer(server) using live555 libs. It's
> unicast based on OnDemandServer example module.
> Thanks for your priceless contribution to the media community.
>
> The application takes rgb frames from a buffer, encodes it, and passes it to
> the derived FramedSource module.
> I ran without any issues with vlc and mplayer client for weeks together.
>
> The application was now tested with Milestone Client(used Onvif standard to
> make the Streamer to be seen as a virtual camera by this client).
> But it's crashing frequently inside the eventloop.
> I thoroughly checked whether it's crashing in my development. It's not.
> Surely it's crashing at the step of eventloop.
> This never happens with vlc/mplayer !!. Unfortunately, because the problem seems to happen only with your custom
server, we can't reproduce it ourselves, so you're going to have to identify
precisely where - in our code - your server is crashing, and why. (BTW, almost everything within a LIVE555 application happens "inside the event
loop", so that's probably not significant.) For starters, I suggest turning on debugging printing in the "RTSPServer" code
by adding #define DEBUG 1 near the top of "liveMedia/RTSPServer.cpp", and recompiling.  This should help
tell you what's going wrong. It's conceivable that your new client has somehow (perhaps by using slightly
different RTSP command syntax) uncovered an error in our server code - in which
case I'd be very interested in discovering this.