[Live-devel] Access violation crash in rtspclient

Jeff Shanab jshanab at smartwire.com
Wed Nov 16 08:44:17 PST 2011

I have been using the live555 client in our project for about a year and it has been working great for most devices.
I just got a new device that does something wrong and causes a crash of the entire app. Since it handles multiple cameras this is a real problem.
It is a 4 channel h264 encoder and when the server is still connected but video stops coming in, something happens in incomingReportHandler that it cannot handle.
I am in windows and debugging shows at that point that it is trying to call RTCPInstance::numMembers() and all pointers are "bad pointers"

Call stack
BasicTaskScheduler::SingleStep-->SocketDescriptor::tcpReadHandler--> SocketDescriptor::tcpReadHandler1-->RTCPInstance::incomingReportHandler--> RTCPInstance::incomingReportHandler1-->onRecieve-->numMembers

On the line
     Return fNumMembers   It shows "access Violation and all pointers in the object are "bad pointers 0xddddddde5"

Another symptom of this command is if I start the app with no video on the channel, it fails in the exact same spot.
The RTSP conversation goes thru all the steps of acquiring the session and subsession but receives a BYE request which triggers a TEARDOWN. The TEARDOWN seems to go partially or completely unanswered and that causes the access violation.

If you read this far, THANKS! Any help would be appreciated. I would like to just exit gracefully

I am on 3/14/2011 version of live555