[Live-devel] Stopping an RTP stream safely/Deleting objects

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Nov 17 14:55:27 PST 2011

> I'm no longer 'reusing' the videosink as I'll just recreate another one when the other one is disposed as you suggested.
> As for exiting and restarting the process, what I'd like to do is actually have a single process with multiple thread with different RTP servers (not RTSP) in each. Is this possible using a single environment variable for the whole process but individual task schedulers per thread or should there be one of each (task scheduler and environment var) per thread.

No!  If you access the LIVE555 code from multiple threads, then these multiple threads ***must*** each have a separate "UsageEnvironment" and "TaskScheduler", and must not share (pointers to) any other LIVE555-created objects either.

Read the FAQ!

But once again, why not just use multiple processes?!

I'm astounded that - in this day and age - so many developers seem unaware that computer systems can run multiple, concurrent processes.  (This seems to be one of the reasons why so many people are falling for bullshit like 'host virtualization'.)