[Live-devel] H.264 live video streaming

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat Nov 19 22:17:43 PST 2011

> So, I've started to use the H264VideoStreamer class directly as you suggest
> and I get much further. However at a certain point after a number of
> successful sendRTPOverTCP calls, subsequent calls seem to fail and then
> never recover.

Your problem here is basically that you are trying to 'cram 6 pounds into a 5-pound sack'.  I.e., you are trying to send data over a TCP connection at a faster rate than the TCP connection is capable of delivering.

Each network connection has a certain bandwidth limit (obviously).  if you try to stream data over this connection at a faster rate, then:
	- If you're streaming over UDP (the ideal thing to be doing), then some packets will get lost in the network.
	- If you're streaming over TCP (the 'less ideal' thing to be doing), then data will start buffering up in the operating system at the sending end, and then eventually (when the sending OS's buffer fills up), sends will fail.  This is what you are seeing.

The important thing to understand is that there is *nothing* that you can do about this, other than to reduce the bitrate of your encoded data - which is something that you have to do at the encoder.