[Live-devel] Passing H.264 RTP stream to hardware decode

Alberto Alvarez alvarezgalberto at uniovi.es
Tue Nov 29 08:58:53 PST 2011

Hello,

I am working on parsing H264 too. A RTP H264 stream
I found that it is a common approach of decoders (hard and soft) to request
an entire AU (or frame).
However, the code in live is parsing the streams at NAL-by-NAL basis. At
the (file) sink every NAL is appended to a file with an start_code is added
accordingly.

It is, indeed, working marvelous, thanks to your efforts.

Still, I am fighting to migrate this approach to a AU-by-AU basis. For
that, i think the (H264VideoRTP) source should detect the end of an AU (not
an straightforward matter though) and then instruct the FramedSource to
write the entire AU to the sink (aftergetting).

For that, I think the H264VideoRTPSource should handle the start_codes
(before each NAL) instead of doing it at the sink. Right now I am looking
for a way to implement this issue.

If my idea is not entirely misguided, where should I add the start_codes in
the source?

Best regards

Alberto Álvarez González
alvarezgalberto at uniovi.es