[Live-devel] Live555 H.264 encoder/decoder, license and royalty

Nabiha Hasan nabiha at apx-labs.com
Tue Oct 11 08:15:08 PDT 2011

Dear Support Team,

I am thinking of using Live555 for our commercial application and needed some clarifications regarding supported video and audio codecs and their license.

Video Codec:

  1.  Does Live555 use the GPL x264 for encoding and decoding H.264 video?
  2.  Can Live555 decode RTP packets (for H.263 and H.264) from network source?
  3.  Is the H.264 encoding hardware / software accelerated?

Audio Codec:

1.       As speex WB/NB are not currently supported by Live555, how can we incorporate this codec into Live555? Speex is royalty-free.  It has been released under the 3-clause BSD license and there are Windows builds for speex utilities.

Platform/OS:

-How well does Live555 work for Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)?
-What are the build or compile time dependencies for Windows?
-What are the runtime dependencies on Windows?

Network Streaming:

-Is there support for  HTTP Live Streaming (for iOS devices)?
- RTMP for Flash players?

Thanks,
NH