[Live-devel] VLC mpeg4

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Oct 21 02:02:31 PDT 2011

> That is my understanding. The reason we want to create on is that there is no other way of conveying the PTS-PCR (TS stream) to the decoder

Huh?  By "TS stream", do you mean "Transport Stream"?  Transport Streams over RTP don't use either of the payload formats that you mentioned.  Instead, they use the "video/MP2T" payload format, whereby the RTP packets consist of unmodified Transport Stream data (an integral number of 188-byte Transport Stream 'packets').

Note that - as far as RTP (and our software) is concerned - it doesn't matter what video (and/or audio) codec is carried within a Transport Stream.  All Transport Streams are carried in RTP the same way.

Note that you can demonstrate streaming Transport Stream files to VLC (and other RTSP/RTP clients) using our "LIVE555 Media Server" application (or "testOnDemandRTSPServer").