[Live-devel] live555 (via vlc) and WMS

David Glaude david.glaude at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 02:27:50 PDT 2011

I can fully understand the logic of making it not working to force the
vendor to respect the standard...

However this is likely to fail in the present case, for Microsoft and
Windows Media Streaming Server.
This is legacy technology for Microsoft, they only focus on Smooth Streaming
and accessing it with Silverlight so they are unlikely to fix it.
As far as I know, only a Windows Media Streaming Server can stream an ASF
(*.wmv) file and there is no alternative.
Even if user could switch to another Streaming Server, this will not change
the kind of Streaming Server that CDNs capable of streaming WMV all over the
world.

What is really odd here is the timing. How come that decision from a year
and a half ago has consequence only now?
Is this due to wich version of Live555 VLC is or was using?

David Glaude