[Live-devel] mplayer not playing stream

Ashfaque ashfaque at iwavesystems.com
Wed Apr 18 02:52:22 PDT 2012

Hi Ross,

I am currently testing Live555 based application on Freescale’s i.MX51 platform, the camera frames are encoded by Hardware encoder (H.264 format). The encoded frames are sent to deliverFarme without  any modifications. After this I am streaming over UDP.

With reference is taken from DeviceSource.cpp, I am able to stream but following warnings are displayed continuously.

Warning: Invalid 'nal_unit_type': 0.  Does the NAL unit begin with a MPEG 'start code' by mistake?
Warning: Invalid 'nal_unit_type': 0.  Does the NAL unit begin with a MPEG 'start code' by mistake?

My understanding is that it is expecting some NAL units in the encoded frames.

I am running mplayer as the client in the linux machine which displays following messages without displaying the video frames.

non-existing PPS referenced%  0.0% 0 0
[h264 @ 0x3879bc0]non-existing PPS referenced
[h264 @ 0x3879bc0]decode_slice_header error
[h264 @ 0x3879bc0]no frame!
Error while decoding frame!
non-existing PPS referenced%  0.0% 0 0
[h264 @ 0x3879bc0]non-existing PPS referenced
[h264 @ 0x3879bc0]decode_slice_header error
[h264 @ 0x3879bc0]no frame!
Error while decoding frame!

Gone through the
H264VideoStreamDiscreteFramer
::afterGettingFrame1 method but not able to catch what exactly being done there.

Please let me know the reason behind this and the way to solve it.

Thanks & Regards,
Ashfaque