[Live-devel] RTP/raw UDP stream joining after stream starts

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Mon Apr 30 12:17:43 PDT 2012

Ross, would you please look at this MP2TS file for us?

	http://etr-usa.com/live555/novideo.ts

It always streams successfully via RTSP over raw UDP from mediaServer,
but shows no video when streamed from testMPEG2TransportStreamer if the
sender starts before the receiver.

This doesn't happen with any other file we have tried so far.  I'm
guessing the problem is that some necessary bit of synchronization data
appears only at the beginning of the file, so that if the client isn't
receiving when it goes by, it never figures out how to decode the video
properly.

I see this with three different clients: testMPEG2TransportReceiver,
VLC, and an STB.

The patch in my previous message is a result of going down a rathole,
thinking maybe the problem was in the demuxing that's part of RTP.  I
figured I could avoid the problem by going with raw UDP streaming, so I
hacked testMPEG2TransportStreamer to do that.

By the way, I've attached a new version of that patch.  The previous one
doesn't build if you pound out USE_RAW_UDP, and it should have that line
commented out by default anyway.