[Live-devel] 100% CPU in tcpReadHandler in extream case.

Jeff Shanab jshanab at smartwire.com
Mon Apr 30 07:19:16 PDT 2012

From: Jeff Shanab
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2012 9:15 AM
To: live-devel at lists.live555.com.
Subject: 100% CPU in tcpReadHandler in extream case.

I have read thru the archives and found mention of this issue before but also that it had definitely been fixed in 2010.03.14.

I am running 2012.2.29 libraries in my application recording 24x7 up to 45 RTSP streams running on Windows server 2008. After about a week of running the cpu will go from it's normal  15% to 100% and then stay there.
If I profile the code during this time It always shows that the majority of the time is in tcpReadHandler as called from SingleStep and doEventLoop.

I need to get this to last longer and would appreciate any insights to what can cause this.

Potential issues.
It is a VMWare VM on a decent rack mounted server.
                Of the 45 connections only 10 are restreaming constantly, another 10 are just waiting for the camera to announce itself and another 5 or 6 are in a retrying loop every 5-60 seconds (random backoff timer on failed connections)

Sanity checks.
The number of sockets in use is in line with the number of connections. So I think I am ok with socket resources.
This is a 4G box with 50% of the memory free and the app taking less than 200MB.
No virus or heavy disk activity.
Restarting the application and waiting for streams to reconnect goes back to 15% CPU

  Jeff Shanab, Manager, Software Engineering
  D 630.633.4515  | C 630.453.7764 | F 630.633.4815  |  jshanab at smartwire.com<mailto:jshanab at smartwire.com>
  [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: sig4] <https://twitter.com/#!/WindyCityWire>   [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: sig3] <http://www.youtube.com/user/WindyCityWire>   [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: sig2] <https://www.facebook.com/pages/Windy-City-Wire/270745609656461>