[Live-devel] VLC playback problem using live555MediaServer with RTP over TCP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Aug 2 05:56:42 PDT 2012

> With the latest live555MediaServer

No, the latest released version of the source code is 2012.07.26; you are using version 2012.07.18.

> , when I use VLC test a mp3 stream, it works fine when VLC’s live55 stream transport mode setting is HTTP.  However, if the setting is changed to RTP over RTSP(TCP) . live555MediaServer does receive the request, produce and send back the stream output.

The best client to use, initially, to test things like this is "openRTSP" <http://www.live555.com/openRTSP/> - not VLC (which is not our application).

In particular, note the "-t" and "-T <http-port-number>" options in "openRTSP".  You should also note the difference between "RTP-over-RTSP' tunneling (specified by the "-t" option in "openRTSP"), and "RTSP-over-HTTP" tunneling (specified by the "-T <http-port-number>" option in "openRTSP").  ("RTSP-over-HTTP" tunneling implies "RTP-over-RTSP' tunneling, but not vice versa.)

Also, you should do your initial testing without modifying the supplied code.  I notice that you have enabled streaming using MP3 'ADUs'.  You should not do this at first.