[Live-devel] Do the test applications ever sleep?

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Fri Aug 17 09:00:06 PDT 2012

On 8/17/2012 9:17 AM, Sid Price wrote:

> My hope was to reduce this to an absolute
> minimum by changing to a true event driven server.

Is this WinCE or WinRT?

WinCE has a lot of hacks in it w.r.t. sockets, in order to minimize
kernel size.  Basically, a lot of stuff is either unsupported or
emulated in user space, as compared to Winsock on "real" Windows.

I have no idea of the state of Winsock's capability on WinRT.  I assume
since it's newer and intended to support tablets and such that it's
nearer to the full capabilities of "real" Windows, but again, I don't
actually know that.

> I am not sure how practical that is without changing Ross’ basic code

You wouldn't have to change any existing code.  You'd write replacements
for BasicUsageEnvironment and BasicTaskScheduler.

sloccount on that sub-tree says there's only about a thousand lines of
code there.  I don't see that a rewrite using Windows' event mechanisms
would be much bigger.