[Live-devel] RTSP - Absolute Time

Erlandsson, Claes P (CERLANDS) CERLANDS at arinc.com
Mon Aug 20 15:09:45 PDT 2012

FYI, the latest version (2012.08.20) of the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" code
adds optional RTSP server and RTSP client support for streams that are
indexed by 'absolute' time - i.e., using strings of the form
"YYYYMMDDTHHMMSSZ" or "YYYYMMDDTHHMMSS.<frac>Z".

Ross Finlayson

Ross, Thank you very much for getting this implemented!

I've been playing around with it a bit today, and will continue to test.

I'm using Cisco Video Surveillance Media Server, and liveMedia for the
client. I've experienced some issues today that I haven't really seen
before, but I'm fairly sure liveMedia is not to blame. Still thought I could
mention it in case someone else is playing around with absolute seeking too.

- Seeking using absolute time takes 5-15s.

- The absolute timestamp I ask for doesn't match what I receive, Many hours
off, but at least it's consistent.

The functionality works ok when using the Cisco Active X control, but I get
the exact same issue when sending RTSP commands manually via a telnet client
(which is expected, just confirming liveMedia doesn't introduce anything).

At one time the Cisco server suddenly refused to accept new connections
(from any computer); something I've never seen before. Worked ok after a
reboot.

Will investigate more and maybe create new archive files on the server...
Thanks again!

/Claes