[Live-devel] Dropped frames when using non-blocking sockets

Friky 31 friky31 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 04:18:53 PDT 2012

Hi everyone.

First of all I will like to say congratulations for all your hard work and
for this successful project.

I have a question regarding the usage of non-blocking sockets for streaming
video.

I am streaming video through unicasting rtp on udp and it seems that even
with the best network conditions, some frames (those that are bigger than
20KB) do not arrive to the destination. I have monitored the network
traffic using wireshark and it seems that the last packets of each frame
are not being transmitted from the host.

It looks like the function writeSocket in GroupsockHelper.cpp is discarding
the end of each frame if they overrun the buffer.
When I prevent the function makeSocketNonBlocking from being called this
problem does not happen.

Is there any way to prevent this problem to happen without leaving the
sockets blocking.

Thank you very much in advance.
Alfredo.