[Live-devel] shared library

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat Dec 8 06:26:51 PST 2012

I'm not planning any changes to the 'build system' itself.  I would hope, however, that things like shared libraries could be accommodated by using a different "config.*" file - e.g., perhaps named something like "config.linux-with-shared-libraries" or "config.debian-with-shared-libraries" - and then using the exiting "genMakefiles" tool.  So that's the approach that I would pursue first.

(And as for the suggestion of switching to using 'CMake', see <http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2012-July/015600.html>)

Personally, though, I don't particularly like shared libraries; in this day and age (with disk space and memory being so abundant) they're just more trouble than they're worth.  (The only 'dynamic link' that I hope you put in Debian distributions is a 'link' to the URL "http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/", so that people can download the latest version of the code; the only version that we support :-)  But of course, you're welcome to try building shared libraries if you wish.