[Live-devel] shared library

Matt Schuckmann matt at schuckmannacres.com
Sat Dec 8 11:41:58 PST 2012

There is one really good reason to support shared libraries and that is
to make it easier to full fill the obligations of the LGPL.
The way it is now if you have a closed source application using this
library and someone else wants to build thier own version of liveMedia
to use with your application the developer must provide all the object
files for their closed source code so that the new static version of
livemedia can be linked in.  Supporting this requirement is much simpler
with a shared library and that's why most open source libraries support
shared libraries.

With regards to your build system I'd for one would very much appreciate
a more traditional system I've thought of doing it myself a few times,
the one you've got is one of the strangest, least flexible, and prone to
errors that I've every seen.

For instance your makefiles for windows can't produce running executable
for dev studio 2008 and above (they don't add the manifests to the
executable) and I don't think it is possible to fix this with your
current make structure.

Honestly Ross I like livemedia, it does the job very well and you do a
pretty good job supporting the community of users but for an open source
project you've got some pretty strange idea's regarding project management.

Regards
Matt S.