[Live-devel] Possibility of an RTSP server initiating the session

amit shivnani amit.shivnani at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 12:18:07 PST 2012

Hello ,

First of all keep up the good work! The Live 555 project is a wonderful
tool and a life saver for independent programmers .

Here is my scenario . I am trying to use Live 555 media server from a
device which sits behind the firewall  , the client could be a browser
based application which is sitting in a different network .

I am able to get the communication going by starting the server and from
the client using HTTP Tunnelling  - "openRTSP -T <http-Port> rtsp://<Server
IP Address>:<RTSP Port>/<FIle name>" .

The problem is in real world there is no way the client will have the real
IP address of the server which is sitting behind routers and firewall .
However, in my case the server could still get the real IP address of the
client .

I wanted to explore the possibility of the server initiating the HTTP
requests so that it could set initial level of GET and POST channels
between the client and server to leverage the tunnelling feature(Internally
RTSP request flow would be same) .As I said the Server know the IP address
of the client in my case so technically the initial request can go from
Server to client .
I started exploring this option by modifying the code inside openRTSP and
Live Media server but the tasks looks very cumbersome , considering the
logic is very tightly coupled .

Also wanted to explore if there is any other straightforward way of
achieving this or if I am missing some package which can do something close
to this, something like Server pushing data to the client that is what
happens in cases of HTTP Push model .

Please advise ,

Warm Regards
Amit Shivnani