[Live-devel] Error RTSP PLAY failed RTSP response was truncated. Increase RTSPClient::responseBufferSize

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Dec 18 16:11:12 PST 2012

> someone can explain to me the meaning of this error, I've been looking for the meaning but I don't find nothing that can help me.
> This error occurs when I try to playing the rtsp url with vlc.
> If I try to play with opentRTSP and playing the url, there is not error....

The problem here is probably that VLC is requesting RTP/RTCP-over-TCP streaming, and it's using an old version of the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" software that has a bug (when RTP/RTCP-over-TCP streaming is used) that can cause this error to be reported.

If you were to rebuild VLC to use an up-to-date version of our code, you most likely would stop seeing these error messages.